Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 10, 2010

This day last year I was seeing patients at the neurosurgery clinic, wearing my classic scrubs and random cardigan.  I spent the day before, Mother's Day, crying mostly...wondering when I would find out if Tedi would pass court, if I would be a mother, and a host of other issues that develop in the "waiting" part of adoption.  I got a call on my cell around mid day on Monday, May 10, 2010.  It was a Louisville, KY number.... JT was already living there and working....  When I picked up, our agency director asked if I was sitting, then explained that we, TEDI, had passed court in Ethiopia.  As I have explained, I am not a "crier"....I sat in shock for a few minutes and then asked if I could call JT myself.... He was beside himself with excitement.  We then separately spent time on the phone calling our friends and family and sharing our news.  We could not believe Tedi was "offiicially" ours. Mothers Day last year was one day late....  That night, with JT away, and my heart floating, my dad handed me red roses (and a glass of wine) and we celebrated.  What can change in a year! 

May 10, 2010

For those of you waiting, I know it is tough.  As a woman without a child, the waiting was painful.  I am sure it similar for a woman with a child/children already.... Nevertheless, the wait was painful.  I can re-read my blog and journal from that time and hear the ache in my voice.  I would like to say I forget all of the aching and pains of waiting...  I do not remember them all, but trust me, the laughter and joy and fun and trials definitely overshadow the agony of the wait.  I did not believe them last year when people told my bitter, anxious heart this...  This year, though, as Tedi incessantly misbehaved and we fought to get a few pics, I realize the blessing of Tedi's life.  I can attempt to comprehend the sacrifice his Ethiopian mommy made to make ME a mom....

This year....I celebated being a mother.  We dedicated our son in a "baby dedication" (yes he was a giant compared to the babies) and we celebrated Tedi making me a mom.... and today we celebrate him LEGALLY becoming ours.

 May 8, 2011
Mother's Day


May 10, 2011
Playing golf in a Run DMC t-shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment