Thursday, January 19, 2012

Imitation

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery." 

I was unable to find the direct source of this quote but we have all heard it.  When someone cuts their hair like yours or chooses makeup because you do or does a fundraiser similar to yours or decorates their home in a similar fashion to yours, sometimes we are okay with it.... but sometimes we are not.  Especially us women... We may think "well, she must be jealous"  or "she is copying off me" or many similar thoughts.  I am guilty of this occasionally....though rarely does anyone choose to imitate my hair, clothing, makeup or home decor.  But would it not be great if we really felt flattered when someone imitated...or rather wouldn't it be great if someone wanted to imitate us not for our physical appearance but who we are on the inside....for who we are when no one's looking....

On Sunday at church, though not the main focus of the sermon, Ben (our pastor) said something that struck me.... "Is your life worth imitating?" Would someone, younger or older, at a different stage in life than you, look into your life at who you are and want to be like you?  It struck me.... would someone look at me and say "Man, I would like to be Natalie Henderson.  She is ____."  Fill in the blank...

But what was in the blank.  Sometimes in my "blank" you could say She IS cynical, sarcastic, short, negative, tired, closed off, curse (both in language and mood).  While this is not who I am, it is possible when I am acting any of these ways to think that I am that way all of the time...What do I want to be....I want people to look into my life and say She IS open, real, kind-hearted, patient, loving, forgiving, gracious, a dedicated friend, ... all of that and so much more is both what I strive to be and strive to be thought of....

What is the reality?  Well, reality is that we will mess up.  I mess up.  The gracious version of myself will judge... she will lose her patience and utter a curse word when work occasionally is overwhelming.  I will be sarcastic more times than not.... My kind self may be short and closed off. 

The beauty in our screw ups is this: Christ forgives us and invites us to move on.... He allows to continue to change each day into a better example of what His life was like.... to be an example of Him... to be worth imitating. 

It scares me to think someone would want to imitate me but makes want to live a life worth imitating.  Think of people you imitate or want to imitate.  Why is that?  I have several...I have the attending at work who is brilliant, confident and beautiful... I would okay being like her....  Or the friend with an always giving heart.... And there is always the person with great hair and makeup that I would be okay imitating...Wondering if someone would imitate me makes me wonder if I am living a life worth imitating.  I would like to start living like this... as if someone may want to imitate me... I mean I can barely understand why someone would be my friend on some days much less choose to imitate me....

No comments:

Post a Comment