Sunday, June 10, 2012

Really? Seriously? Nuva Rings?

I read an article last week written by a prominent Christian figure that condemned the use of birth control by Christian woman.  There is so much I could say to the article, as a woman, a doctor, and a wife... Initially, I walked away from the article feeling angry....and the more I sat on it, the more I realized that I, like the author and all of the supporters, were really missing the point. (and turning away any non-Christian who ventured to read it)

I was really punched in the gut about it... I mean, come on, is that what we are concerned about? I am not here to argue the points, merits, or issues in this article... Not the purpose of my blog.  I am here to say DOES IT REALLY MATTER? 

Seriously.  We are called to Love Jesus. Serve People like Jesus did.  Love People like Jesus did.  Yep.  That is it.  I get that there is more theology contained in the Bible than that.  Nevertheless, if we boil it all down and all lived like Jesus (or at least tried to), we would spend so much time loving others that we would not have time to worry about such topics. 

As I write this, I am heavy hearted thinking of several orphans I met in Ethiopia.....an almost seven year old and 11 year old girls who are HIV+..... who I am sure sit each day wondering when will their "today" be the day that they get moved to the transition house because they have family.  Yet so many Christians are worlds away arguing minuscule details of theological (like if my Nuva ring is an abortifactant) while these girls would like merely for someone to consider them....

Just so you know.... I say all of this knowing my personal imperfections, hang ups, screw ups, and realize that by even writing this I am myself passing a certain degree of judgement.  I totally get the hypocrisy. Don't think that I don't.  I was just wholly convicted by own anger and dwelling over the article and the time it took away from me advocating for orphans and families.....

So when you get hung up arguing theology, think about the faces of children wanting love and realize life really is about something more....




1 comment: